Families, we often hear questions about what you can do to help your child with learning. One resource that all students have available to them at home is Study Island. You may use this link https://app.studyisland.com/cfw/login/ to take you to the site. Your child should have his/her username and password from school.
One of our precious students, Jenaya Reed, has been diagnosed with stage 3 brain cancer. She is presently going through chemotherapy and radiation treatments. A website has been set up for those of us who would like to help her family with their financial needs over the next several months. If you would like to donate, please use the following link to do so: www.gofundme.com/jenaya-monee-reed
Spring pre-registration for Sumner County children entering kindergarten this fall for the 2014-15 school year is Friday, April 25. Gene Brown Elementary's pre-registration hours are 9:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m.
Parents with questions about their school zone should call the Transportation Department at 452-1520 or visit www.sumnerschools.org.
Eligible children are those who are 5 years old on or before Aug. 15.
Before starting school, the following information must be provided to school officials:
• A state-certified copy of the child’s birth certificate--Forms to get certified copies of birth certificates can be obtained from the Sumner County Health Department.
• Proof of required immunization and current physical--These items can be provided by the health department or the child’s doctor. State law requires a series of three Hepatitis B shots and other immunizations, some of which must be spaced out over a specific period of time. Check with your child’s health-care provider to make sure all shots can be obtained before the start of school.
• Proof of legal residence of the student’s custodial parents or guardians with in-zone addresses must be presented. We require two of the documents listed at the bottom of this webpage.
APRIL EVENTS at GBE
TCAP BOOT CAMP---Each 3rd, 4th, and 5th grade student is assigned
one week to report to duty. The days are Mon.-Thurs. and the times
are 3:50 to 4:50. Parents/Guardians need to pick up students in the
car rider line at 4:50.
April 15---Fourth Grade Concert---6:30-7:00
April 17---Progress reports issued.
April 18---No school due to holiday
April 21-25---TCAP Dress-up Days to prepare to do our best!
Mon.--Be your brightest! (Neon colors and sunglasses)
Tues.--Be focused on success! (Dress your best with a thinking cap.)
Wed.--Be well rested! (Pajamas--remember the dress code.)
Thurs.--Be college bound! (Favorite college apparel)
Fri.--Be TCAP STRONG! (camouflage, your Boot Camp bandanna, etc.)
April 24---Chuck E. Cheese PTA Spirit Night
April 25---Kindergarten Pre-registration 9:00-1:00
April 25---TCAP PEP Rally
April 28-May 2---TCAP week---Our students will get to show all they
know and will be TCAP Strong!
When visiting GBE, please remember to use our new entrance that leads directly into the Office area. This entrance is used from 8:45 to 3:45. Car riders still enter at the car rider door beside the gym between 8:15 and 8:45. If students arrive after 8:45, then they need to be signed in by a parent/guardian through the new Office entrance. Also, note that visitors should follow the traffic flow that starts at the cafeteria end of our building and exits by the new school marquee sign.
Our TN Dept. of Education has launched a new website that has many resources for TN families and students. Please take time to use them if needed. www.kidcentraltn.com
Gene Brown Elementary is honored to be one of TN's first Reward Schools for student progress. That means our students were in the top 5% in the state for the academic progress that they made in the school year 2011-12!
Reminder that our school day starts at 8:45 and ends at 3:45. Doors open for students at 8:15. Only students that are in the YMCA Fun Company program should be in the school before 8:15.
To register your child for enrollment at GBE, you need to have a TN immunization record, a copy of his/her birth certificate, and custody papers if applicable. Also, you will need the following proofs of residency:
Procedure Requirements for Proof of Residency
Sumner County School District
Parents/guardians are required to have two of the following documents upon school registration of your child:
1. Current legal document/lease showing proof of residency (Notary public signed or typed/handwritten letters from owners be accepted.)
2. Current motor vehicle registration with current address.
3. Current utility bill – electric, gas, water, telephone land lines (Cell phone bill be accepted.)
4. Current bank statement with current address
5. Current employment records (e.g. current check stub showing address)
6. Tennessee picture driver's license with current in-zone address
7. Tennessee picture ID with current in-zone address
Sumner County School District will allow your child to register for classes with the understanding that the parent/guardian will have ten (10) school days to complete the above residency requirements. At the end of the tenth (10) school day, the required documentation must have been turned into the school administrative office. If not, your child be allowed to return to school until the documentation is complete. Also, at this time, the Truancy Division of Sumner County Schools will be notified that your child is truant from school.
: A Truancy Officer may verify your residency at any time during the current school year. Also, business addresses as identified by city/county zoning maps will not be accepted as a home residence.